This is a running list of resources that will continue to be added to and edited. If you would like to contribute to this list in a meaningful way, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contribution. This is in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter Movement and ALL racial justice movements. We are in this together.
Links to donate:
- ActBlue is an organization assisting with getting donations to other organizations around the country
- Louisville Community Bail Fund
- Black Visions Collective: https://secure.everyaction.com/4omQDAR0oUiUagTu0EG-Ig2
- Reclaim The Block: https://secure.everyaction.com/zae4prEeKESHBy0MKXTIcQ2
- North Star Health Collective: https://www.northstarhealthcollective.org/donate
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/donate/
- New York Protestors
- Venmo: @bailoutnyc
- Cashapp: $bailoutnycmay
- Los Angeles:
- Campaign Zero: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=QgCqNjhupOOUdz6sL-G88gCUAh5kW-2B58ZAPzISflBRjTdGcyY5k0TcHM8tHmqCBEQHN0&country.x=US&locale.x=US
Petitions to sign:
- Willie Simmons has served 38 years for a $9 robbery: http://chng.it/PKWZTG8JCk
- Justice for George Floyd: http://chng.it/tds7SfgVGS
- Raise the Degree (George’s murderer only charged with 3rd degree murder): http://chng.it/4xHGLQvJrg
- #JusticeforFloyd: Demand the officers who killed George Floyd are charged with murder: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/justiceforfloyd_george_floyd_minneapolis
- Justice for Breonna Taylor: http://chng.it/yFwmrXTmSk
- Julius Jones is innocent. Don’t let him be executed by the state of Oklahoma: http://chng.it/mwcwbSKxks
- ALL RACIAL JUSTICE PETITIONS HERE: https://www.change.org/t/racial-justice-4?source_location=discover_feed
- Demand Minneapolis City Council to be visionary leaders for minneapolis and divest from the Minneapolis PD: bit.ly/defundmpd
- Community Control: https://sites.google.com/view/community-control-now/home
Numbers to call:
Call Minnesota Governor Walz
Hello, my name is [insert name], and I live in [insert city, town or neighborhood]. I am calling to demand justice for George Floyd — a man killed mercilessly by the Minneapolis Police. The investigation into his killing should be independent, fair and conducted by the Attorney General’s office.
I’m calling on you to transfer the prosecution of the police who killed George Floyd to the Minnesota Attorney General and to appoint a Special Assistant Attorney General to lead the prosecution. The Hennepin County Attorney’s office works every day with Minneapolis Police and has failed to bring charges in past police killings. I don’t trust the county attorney to fairly prosecute this case. Your appointment of a special prosecutor will send a clear message to the community that you value justice for George Floyd.
Call Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison
Hello, my name is [insert name], and I live in [insert city, town or neighborhood]. I’m calling to urge your office to accept and advocate for a special prosecutor to prosecute the Minneapolis police who killed George Floyd.
As a member of this community, I know that people are in pain. We are angry and reeling from yet another senseless killing of a Black man. The Hennepin County Attorney works with Minneapolis Police every day, and his office has failed to bring charges in past police killings. That’s why we need your office to prosecute these officers. Please help us heal the community by showing your commitment to justice for George Floyd.
Call Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman
(612) 348-5550 or (612) 348-2146
Hello, my name is [insert name], and I live in [insert city, town or neighborhood]. I am calling to demand a swift and independent prosecution of the police who killed George Floyd. As we seek justice for George Floyd, I ask that your office turn over the prosecution of these officers to Attorney General Ellison’s office. This gesture will send a clear message to the community that the Hennepin County Attorney supports an independent and fair prosecution.
When the police kill a person, the same prosecutors that work day-in-and-day-out with those police are not the same ones who should be prosecuting them.
Email addresses to write:
- Justice for Dion Johnson PHOENIX, AZ:
- You can email email@example.com and list the demands from Dion’s family and Black Lives Matter Phoenix Metro which are:
- Release the police report.
- Release Dion Johnson’s belongings to his family.
- Release highway traffic cam footage.
- Release officer’s name.
- Fire and charge the officer.
Links to get educated:
- 75 Things White People Can Do For Racial Justice: https://medium.com/equality-includes-you/what-white-people-can-do-for-racial-justice-f2d18b0e0234
- Companies To Stop Buying From That Use Prison Labor: https://returntonow.net/2016/06/13/prison-labor-is-the-new-american-slavery/
- African American Citywide Historic Context Statement https://default.sfplanning.org/Preservation/african_american_HCS/AfricanAmericanHistoricContextStatement_Draft_Jan2016.pdf
- Free Readings on Critical Race Theory: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tGBHYhsaSvTfBoOwnjw5IkjR3GbTOo-K?usp=sharing
- Dylann Roof and the Stubborn Myth of the Colorblind Millennia http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/06/20/415878789/dylann-roof-and-the-stubborn-myth-of-the-colorblind-millennial.
- “Why Colorblindness Won’t End Racism.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4LpT9TF_ew
- The lost neighborhood under New York’s Central Park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdsWYOZ8iqM&t=328s
- I don’t see race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qArvBdHkJA
Below is a list of readings and videos Jessica Harris and myself created for a class at the University of Arizona titled “Race, Ethnicity and the American Dream.” FREE COLLEGE CLASS MATERIAL:
The Social Construction of Race
- Chen, Angus. “Is it Time to Stop Using Race in Medical Research?” Shots: Health News from NPR, February 5, 2016, http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/02/05/465616472/is-it-time-to-stop-using-race-in-medical-research.
- Wright, Robert. “New Evidence that Racism Isn’t ‘Natural,’” The Atlantic.com, October 17, 2012, http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/new-evidence-that-racism-isnt-natural/263785/.
- Korte, Gregory. “White House Wants to Add New Racial Category for Middle Eastern People,” USA Today, September 30, 2016. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/09/30/white-house-wants-add-new-racial-category-middle-eastern-people/91322064/.
- Vox. “The Myth of Race, Debunked in 3 minutes,” video, 3:07. January 13, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnfKgffCZ7U.
- Ramsey, Franchesca. “Why Colorblindness Won’t End Racism.” Decoded, MTV News video, 5:36. June 8, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4LpT9TF_ew.
The Folk Theory of Racism
Folk theory summarized:
- Ideas held by white people about race including that race is biological and that racism is a matter of individual belief and not a systemic problem.
- This theory goes against the reality of institutionalized racism by minimizing it to individual and overt acts of racism such as using racial slurs, being part of the KKK, and having obvious and outward racist attitudes.
- We know racism to be an institutionalized and systemic issue that touches everything including but not limited to law enforcement, health care, education, housing, incarceration, immigration, and poverty.
- Author Jane Hill discusses in length in her book The Everyday Language of White Racism: http://www.loyno.edu/jsri/book-review-jane-h-hill-everyday-language-white-racism
- Blake, John. “The New Threat: ‘Racism without Racists.’” CNN, November 27, 2014, http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/26/us/ferguson-racism-or-racial-bias/.
- Bouie, Jamelle. “The Gulf that Divides Us: The Whiteness Project Underscores why There is so Little Empathy between Whites and Blacks,” Slate, October 17, 2014, http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/10/the_whiteness_project_whites_and_blacks_are_still_living_in_separate_worlds.html.
- The Root. “Is Reverse Racism a Thing?” video, 2:11. http://theroottv.theroot.com/video/Is-Reverse-Racism-A-Thing.
Active and Passive Racism
- The Equal Justice Initiative. “Lynching in America: Confronting the Legacy of Racial Terror,” video, 5:17, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=aS61QFzk2tI.
- Kush, Andy. “White America Paved the Road to Alton Sterling and Philando Castille’s Deaths,” Gawker. July 7, 2016, http://gawker.com/white-america-paved-the-road-to-alton-sterling-and-phil-1783274276.
- Fox, Margalit. “Tyrus Wong, ‘Bambi’ Artist Thwarted by Racial Bias Dies at 106,” The New York Times, December 30, 2016, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/movies/tyrus-wong-dies-bambi-disney.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share.
- Vox. “Racism in the NFL, NBA, and MLB,” video, 3:10. September 9, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=impOcrAeIh8.
Structural Racism: Drugs, Incarceration, and Police Violence
- Netflix: 13th by Ava DuVernay
Structural Racism: Education and Residential Inequality
- Millhiser, Ian. “American Schools are More Segregated Now Than They Were in 1968, and the Supreme Court Doesn’t Care,” Think Progress, August 13, 2015, https://thinkprogress.org/american-schools-are-more-segregated-now-than-they-were-in-1968-and-the-supreme-court-doesnt-care-cc7abbf6651c#.wcfte5qkp.
- Fusion. “School Segregation is Still Pretty Bad Today,” 4:06, December 14, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMY_VZrmJ4I.
- AJ+. “U.S. Schools Still Segregated,” Youtube video, 3:31, August 10, 2014, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8pwm7GK0BM.
- Stokes, Sy. “The Black Bruins,” Youtube video, 5:12, November 4, 2013, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEO3H5BOlFk.
- American Civil Liberties Union. “Niya Arrested for Challenging Police Abuse in School,” ACLU Videos, 1:22. August 11, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HynIKU8P9LU.
- Palos, Ari Luis. “Precious Knowledge – Trailer,” Youtube video, 2:00, March 15, 2012, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExJ2gly0m4.
Structural Racism: Health and Environmental Racism
- Belluz, Julia and Steven Hoffman. “America’s Brutal Black-White Health Gap: Why Black Men Can Expect to Live 5 Years Less than White Men,” Vox, April 30, 2015, http://www.vox.com/2014/8/25/6052871/why-white-skin-works-better-than-most-medicine/in/5740388.
- Carpenter, Zoe. “What’s Killing America’s Black Infants? Racism is Fueling a National Health Crisis.” The Nation, February 15, 2017, https://www.thenation.com/article/whats-killing-americas-black-infants/.
- Vox. “Flint’s Water Crisis, Explained in 3 Minutes,” Youtube video, 3:36. January 21, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUSiLOwkrIw.
- Christopher, Gail. “Breaking Down Beliefs of Racial Hierarchy.” The Huffington Post. February 5, 2016, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-gail-christopher/breaking-down-beliefs-of-_b_9164802.html.
- Burk, Michelle Dominique. “Why Acknowledging that Racism Exists Isn’t the Same as Being Anti-Racist,” Everyday Feminism, January 27, 2015, http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/01/seeing-racism-isnt-anti-racism/.
- Ramsey, Franchesa. “The Problem with White Beauty Standards,” Decoded, MTV News video, 3:59. May 18, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySpytmtCB5o.
- Kploanyi, Selorm and Nyla Wissa. “What Is Colorism and How Is It Shaping How People See the World?” Buzzfeed video, 5:12, July 6, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76X4JvjpXug.
- Vox. “Color Film was Built for White People. Here’s What It Did to Dark Skin,” video, 4:39. September 18, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d16LNHIEJzs.
Racial Stereotypes and Microaggressions
- Thom, Cheng Kai. “6 Reasons why ‘Bad Asians’ Rock and ‘Positive’ Racial Stereotypes Need to Go,” Everyday Feminism, November 28, 2016, http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/positive-stereotypes-still-bad/.
- Nakagawa, Scot. “Constructing Race: Pew Center Report on Asians,” Race Files, July 21, 2012, http://www.racefiles.com/2012/06/21/constructing-race/.
- Ansari, Aziz. “Why Trump Makes Me Scared for My Family,” The New York Times, June 24, 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/opinion/sunday/aziz-ansari-why-trump-makes-me-scared-for-my-family.html.
- Ahmed, Ahmed. “An American-Muslim Comedian on Being Typecast as a Terrorist,” Vox video, 4:15. November 2, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeBuWVkUL4A.
- Ramsey, Franchesa. “If Microaggressions Happened to White People,” Decoded, MTV News video, 2:40. July 22, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRA4g-3yEk.
- Greenberg, Jon. “10 Examples That Prove White Privilege Protects White People in Every Aspect Imaginable,” Everyday Feminism, blog, November 26, 2015, http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/lessons-white-privilege-poc/.
- Gray, Emma and Jessica Samakow. “11 Things White People Need to Realize about Race,” The Huffington Post, blog, July 23, 2015, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/11-things-white-people-need-to-realize-about-race_us_55b0009be4b07af29d576702.
- Mann, Royce. “‘White Boy Privilege,’ Slam Poem,” Youtube video, 4:13, June 27, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Q1jZ-LOT0&feature=youtu.be.
- Ramsey, Franchesa. “5 Tips for Being an Ally,” Chescaleigh, Youtube video, 3:31, November 22, 2014, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dg86g-QlM0.
- Demby, Gene. “Is it Racist to Call Someone ‘Racist’?” Code Switch: Race and Identity, Remixed, November 23, 2016, http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/11/23/503180254/is-it-racist-to-call-someone-racist.
- Greenberg, Jon. “7 Reasons Why ‘Colorblindness’ Contributes to Racism Instead of Solves It,” Everyday Feminism, February 23, 2015, http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/02/colorblindness-adds-to-racism/.
Feminist Fridays. “Why It’s Racist to be Colorblind,” Youtube video, 4:48. May 2, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaqOkutHSpI&t=4s.
The Backlash against Colorblindness: “Alt-right,” White Nationalism, and White Supremacism
- Mathias, Christopher. “6 Rules of Islamophobia.” The Huffington Post, January 23, 2017, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/islamophobia-america_us_587cf491e4b0e58057ff98e0.
- Al Jazeera English. “White Nationalist Richard Spencer Talks to Al Jazeera.” Youtube video, 8:53. December 9, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_6sISHnqQ.
- Reveal News. “A Frank Conversation with a White Nationalist.” The Center for Investigative Reporting, podcast, 23:41. November 10, 2016, https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/a-frank-conversation-with-a-white-nationalist/.
Popular Culture and Cultural Appropriation
- Johnson, Maisha Z. “What’s Wrong with Cultural Appropriation? These 9 Answers Reveal its Harm,” Everyday Feminism, June 14, 2015, http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/.
- Rutabingwa, Viviane and James Kassaga Arinaitwe. “Taylor Swift Is Dreaming of A Very White Africa,” Goats and Soda: Stories of Life in a Changing World from NPR, September 1, 2015, http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/09/01/436653602/taylor-swift-is-dreaming-of-a-very-white-africa.
- Walker, Tate. “4 Ways to Honor Native Americans Without Appropriating Our Culture,” Everyday Feminism, August 26, 2014, http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/08/honor-native-americans-without-appropriating/.
- Ramsey, Franchesca. “What’s Wrong with Kylie Jenner’s Cornrows?” Decoded, MTV News video, 3:05. July 17, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrgKIH1X2Y&t=13s.
- Quartz. “Here’s What it Looks Like When Cultural Appropriation is Done Right,” YouTube, video, 2:40. October 20, 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEz8-oywKUk.
Assignment: 3rd Everyday Example Paper (Colorblindness) due Friday, November 17th
- Kray, Kel. “Dear Fellow White People: Loving Hip Hop Doesn’t Make You (or Me) Anti-Racist,” Everyday Feminism, April 21, 2015, http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/04/loving-hip-hop-not-anti-racist/.
- Grair, Marchae. “So You Say You’ve Got White Privilege. Now What?” New Sacred, United Church of Christ Blog, June 1, 2016, http://newsacred.org/2016/06/so-you-say-youve-got-white-privilege-now-what/.
- Morse, Brad and Chevall Pryce. “Mandatory Racism Awareness Class Awaits University Funding,” The Batt.com, September 27, 2016, http://www.thebatt.com/news/mandatory-racism-awareness-class-awaits-university-funding/article_29826e40-8524-11e6-b3e2-b7301107d5bd.html.
- The Root. “Descendants of Slaves Get Preferential Treatment at Georgetown University,” video, 1:49, http://theroottv.theroot.com/video/Descendants-of-Slaves-Get-Prefe;The-Root-Explains.
- James, Marlon. “Are you Racist? ‘No’ Isn’t a Good Enough Answer,” The Guardian: Race Issues, In My Opinion, video, 2:05, January 13, 2016, https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2016/jan/13/marlon-james-are-you-racist-video.
- Williams, Jesse. “BET Awards 2016,” Youtube video, 4:54, June 26, 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orXogk3euMA.
The Backlash against Anti-Racism
- Gasman, Marybeth. “An Ivy League Professor on Why Colleges Don’t Hire More Faculty of Color: ‘We Don’t Want Them,’” The Washington Post, September 26, 2016, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/09/26/an-ivy-league-professor-on-why-colleges-dont-hire-more-faculty-of-color-we-dont-want-them/.
- Gasman, Marybeth. “What People Did When an Ivy League Professor Wrote Faculty of Color Don’t Get Jobs Because ‘We Don’t Want Them,’” The Washington Post, October 11, 2016, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/10/11/how-people-responded-when-an-ivy-league-professor-wrote-nonwhite-faculty-dont-get-jobs-because-we-dont-want-them/.
- Yate, Clinton. “FIFA Disbands Anti-Racism Task Force Under the Assertion that the Group’s Work is Done,” The Undefeated, September 26, 2016, https://theundefeated.com/allday/fifa-disbands-anti-racism-task-force/.
- Halstead, John. “The Real Reason White People Say ‘All Lives Matter,’” The Huffington Post, July 25, 2016, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-halstead/dear-fellow-white-people-_b_11109842.html.
- Edwards, David. “This White Lady From Glenn Beck’s TV Channel is Mad as Hell about the ‘Very Black’ BET Awards,” Raw Story, June 29, 2016, http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/this-white-lady-from-glenn-becks-tv-channel-is-mad-as-hell-about-the-very-black-bet-awards/.